So today I'm going to show you how to very easily add some texture to a picture using Photoshop 5.0.
I will demonstrate using as a example a portrait.
Here is the picture I will work on...
1- First Step: Open the picture on Photoshop! (I told you it was going to be easy :-)...).
2- Second Step: Cleaning up just a bit the picture (if necessary):
- Curves: I will lift up just a little the curve, then click OK
- Unsharp Mask: Amount 98, Radius 2, Threshold 8, click OK (these numbers will change depending of the picture)
- Then on this particular portrait I found the bright colors around the subject a little distracting so I will turn them down a little, by adding some white on top of them using a Layer
- New Layer, click OK
- Then using a big size brush I add some white on the bright colored areas
Voila!!!! I'm now ready to add some Texture!!!!
_ So now I opened my Texture Image (a scan I made from a Scrap Book Page...), and I will drag the new image on top of the first one
- If you get the same message as me on the screen, click Yes
- You now have the new image on top of the first one
- You need to change the blending mode of your new Layer to be able to see the picture below (it's set up to Normal per default). I like to use Soft Light, but play around and try them all! :-)
- At this point you can see the texture you just added but also your picture below it. I like the picture on the background but I don't want it on the face of the baby. So I use the Eraser Tool (opacity around 50%) and I erase the new Texture Layer I created on the face.
Double Et Voila!!!! In about 5 minutes I'm done!!!!